Friday 13 March 2015

Who I am?

  
   My Name is Guillaume and I'm a 22-years-old student who was born in the French Caribbean Island, Martinique. However, my father came from the Normandy and my mother, even if she was born and grew up in Paris, comes from Guadeloupe, another French colony. I grew up in a small fishing town, in a big house located only 50 meters from the Caribbean Sea: when I was a child, I used to go for a swim every single day before and after school! ;-) 

   When I was 10 and my parents just had separated, my mother decided to go back to her family and we moved to a small city named Ecouen in the North of Paris where I lived till I was 18.

  I was always interested in learning German. So I chose it as first foreign language at school. When I was fifteen, I really wanted to improve my language skills and decided to do an exchange year in Austria and came the first time to Klagenfurt. I worked alongside the school so that I could “survive” and when I came back, I managed to pass the entrance exam of an international school in Paris. The school was very hard but I had the motivation of leaving again for Austria. The month after I graduated from High school (yes in France, you get your 1st academic degree after school because the Baccalauréat is organised by Universities and is a kind of entrance exam for further academic education), I moved back to Klagenfurt and worked as waiter so that I could manage to finance the beginning of my studies.

   A few months later, it was so far: I had accomplished my dream of moving to Graz and started to study sociology. Three years later, it brings us to now. I am currently finishing writing my bachelor thesis and have begun to study Global Studies and Transcultural Communication with the languages English and German. 

   Apart from university I try surviving as a freelance translator. I'm also a speaker in an synthetic voices society and give French private lessons. In my free time, I love playing chess (even if I forgot a lot, I used to be the number one of my region! :-) ), doing theatre, dancing Caribbean and South American dances, travelling, rambling, swimming, listening to very different kinds of music (Reggae 4 EVER!!) and, of course, going for (a) drink(s) in the city and coming far too late (early?) home swearing I'll never drink again...

So, that's who I am! I hope you enjoyed reading it! ;-)

No comments: