Friday 13 March 2015

Who am I? من انا؟

Well, I am an half Egyptian – Austrian girl living in Graz. My parents named me Nora because it is a typical Arabic name, meaning light, but in the same time Nora is also known in Austria. Actually my dad is an Egyptian and my extended family still live in the heart of Cairo. That is the reason why I have become a traveler. At least once a year I go to Egypt to visit my family and friends. That allowed me to gain deep insight into the Arabic way of thinking and the lifestyle. These aspects differ greatly from the European ones.

 I grew up bilingual – Arabic and German- and I that’s why I was able to develop a sense of language. So I decided to study Arabic and English at the University of Graz.  My interest in other foreign cultures is another reason why I have chosen “transcultural communication”.  Besides languages I am a passionate musician and dancer. I have been playing the flute since I was a child and I am currently performing in an orchestra.



In terms of my personality I am a really open-minded person because of my cultural background. My attitude is a mix of European and Arabic ideas and ideologies, which makes it hard sometimes to come to a decision in particular things. However, I am really proud of my Arabic-Austrian descent even if it is not visible from my appearance. Another streak is that I am a peaceful person. I don’t like arguments or fights and I am always trying to solve problems in a diplomatic way. I think this is much more efficient than insulting and shouting at each other.

No comments: