Tuesday 31 March 2015

BAKED MICE


Don't worry, this recipe is not as morbid as it sounds and no animals were harmed during its preparation.
Actually this dish is one of my favourite desserts, and my grandma and I have made them ever since I was little. For this post I asked her to write down the recipe for me and let me take pictures while we made them.

What you need for this Austrian speciality:

  • 21 oz. wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 pack yeast
  • 5 oz. butter
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 pack of vanilla sugar
  • rubbed pieces of lemon paring
  • 1/4 pack of currants
  • 1/4 l warm milk
  • 3 eggs






First of all, the flour, salt and butter need to be mixed together. Afterwards, add three tablespoons of sugar, 1 1/2 packs of yeast, vanilla sugar and the rubbed lemon paring.






Meanwhile, warm up the milk and mix it up with three eggs. Then add it to the previous mixture of ingredients and beat it either by hand or machine until the dough is shiny and blisters. Allow the finished dough to rise in a warm room.



Once it seems ready to be baked, form small balls of dough with the table spoon and put them into hot oil. This is where the magic happens.
The oil shouldn't be too hot though, so that the mice don't remain pasty on the inside.




Once they're evenly golden, take them out of the oil and serve as a dessert. My grandma likes to serve homemade vegetable soup prior to the mice, which makes it a delicious meal alltogether.
Also, I recommend to get a helpful cooking companion, just like this little dachshund here.








Et voilà! This is what your result should look like. They indeed look like baked mice, but they don't taste as cruel as they look. In fact, they are delicious, sweet and fluffy and I can warmly recommend everyone trying them.

No comments: