Tuesday 31 March 2015

Vegan Nut Wedges

When I was younger, my mother used to buy nut wedges nearly every weekend as a special treat. It is a typical German dessert that consists of a sweet dough and a nut topping with chocolate edges. I always loved them but as I left my parents and moved to Austria I couldn't afford to buy them that often. Moreover I went vegan last year and it is nearly impossible to find vegan nut wedges anywhere.

Therefore I decided to change the basic recipe, replacing eggs, milk chocolate and butter. After some tries and some errors, now I know the perfect ingredients for delicious vegan nut wedges. The main trick is to replace the eggs with a mixture of flax seed and water. It provides a perfect consistency and doesn't falsify the taste. Moreover flax seeds are very healthy as they contain a huge ammount of omega-3 fatty acids. You can buy them in any supermarket.

I made a video in which I present my recipe for those vegan nut wedges. As you'll see they're very easy to make. If you decide to try this recipe let me know how you liked it and what the result was like. Did you notice a difference to regular nut wedges? All the ingredients are listed below the video.

Ingredients:

for the dough:
300g flour
80g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
2 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp water
150g margarine
1 tsp baking powder

for the topping:
10 Tbsp apricot jam
150g sugar
200g margarine
2 packages vanilla sugar
5 Tbsp water
100g whole almonds
300g whole hazelnuts

for the chocolate edges:
100g baking chocolate


2 comments:

Kulla von Black Chameleon said...

Hello Vroni,

I don't own an oven at the moment but as soon as I get the chance to bake cookies I'll try your recipe. Thanks for the idea. Stay vegan..

from me, Michael

Unknown said...

Hey thx for your comment :)

Let me know whether you liked it. I'm curious :)