Monday 30 March 2015

I speak food- Easter edition!

Hi guys!  The Easter holidays turned out to be my inspiration for this blog post: I had to explain what we eat on Easter Sunday to a friend of mine, who is from the UK. Without knowing I killed two birds with one stone: I spoke food and had an idea for my blogpost.

My family loves self-introduced traditions, so our Easter rite starts a couple of days before Easter Sunday. We all get in our car and drive about an hour to visit my relatives in lower Carinthia. They produce and sell the very best pork at their little farm (covered advertising alarm!) and are our most valuable source when it comes to buying meat. Here’s what we bought this year for our delicious meal:
What we call “Osterschinken” is boiled ham or hammon. As you can see we buy it as a whole and store it in the basement. On Easter Sunday my grandmother slices it, which is not the easiest work to do. 



We also have Ox tongue, which we buy at a farmer near us. (My parents, my grandmother and my brother think it's tasty, me and my sister are perfectly happy without it)




Moreish, self-made bread is the greatest way to enjoy all this meat.



Horseradish with eggs, “’Eierkren” in German, is a mixture of freshly grated horseradish, vinegar, oil and boiled eggs that are cut in pieces.



This dish is very Carinthian. I guess most of you don’t really know it so I decided to give you some introductions on how “Reindling” is made. Try out this recipe - you won’t need much time, but be able to serve a tasty side dish at your Easter meal.




Ingredients:
500g flour
80g butter
¼ l milk
2 eggs
20g yeast
20g sugar

Filling:
100g raisins
100g sugar
50g nuts
80g butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions:
Make yeast dough out of the ingredients. Roll it out. Melt the butter. Butter the yeast dough. Put all ingredients that are listed under filling on it, coil it up. Put it in a greased baking pan.  Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees for 45 minutes.






After this we enjoy a delightful sweet: “Osterlamm”, easterlamb.  I don’t know if you know what this is, so I will share my recipe with you. You can use for simple cakes too, because it is easy, timesaving and very tasty.



Ingredients:
4 eggs
200g sugar
a packet Vanilla sugar
A pinch of salt
lacing of lemon flour
100 ml oil
100 ml water
350 g flour
a packet Baking powder

Instructions:
Beat eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add all the other ingredients and put in a greased baking pan, formed like a lamb. (If you use this recipe to make a cake base, put the batter in another baking pan.) Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees for 45 minutes.



You see, it is really simple. Because the Holy Week has just begun and Easter Sunday is still some days away at the moment, I couldn’t take photos of our Easter meal and had to take some pictures from the internet. We never took a picture of our meal- we think you eat with your eyes, but not with your camera, so there is no need to take some.

Writing about what I am going to eat on Sunday makes me both, peckish and curious: What do you eat on Easter Sunday? Do you have a decent meal? Leave a comment and tell me J

Enjoy the break! 

No comments: