Friday 27 March 2015

Om Nom Nom Nom – Seconds?

Hello my dear dessert-loving people out there! :D

Since I decided to write about the Irish apple tart in my food magazine, which can be read here, I couldn’t resist baking this mouth-watering dessert and telling you all the details. With support of a dear friend of mine, we managed to bake it. It isn’t difficult to make, but for the people who have never baked anything before, including myself, I compiled a step-by-step instruction. The Irish apple tart is a traditional dessert that can be found generally in any household throughout Ireland. It is straightforward to make, relatively cheap and the ingredients can be bought anywhere.
In order to make my post more interesting, I decided to write an untypical recipe instruction, for example, by adding some comments and plenty of pictures. Since this was my first experience with baking, I feel much more inclined to bake now. ;)

 



The ingredients are:
230g or 8 ounces of plain flour
120g – 150g or 4 ounces of butter/margarine
Cold water
2 big apples
2 tablespoons of sugar

Note: If you want, you can leave the butter in the fridge overnight for a better texture.

First of all, you ought to preheat your oven. The temperature should be around 200° Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit.

Take a deep glass bowl (or in our case a cooking pot because we didn’t had a glass bowl handy). Mix the flour and the butter/margarine and then add some cold water to make the pastry. You can even add some sugar here but it is not necessary.






Scoop the mixture out and put it on a slightly floured surface. Knead the pastry and then cut it in halves.




Sprinkle some flour onto your surface again, and then roll it out with a rolling pin. We had a problem with this point because there was no rolling pin in my household. If you have the same problem, try to find something else instead, such as a bottle of wine. While rolling out the second piece of the mixture, leave the first one in the refrigerator for about five minutes.




Peel the apples and cover the pastry with them. Add two tablespoons of sugar  you can even add some cinnamon if you prefer.










Then roll the second halve of the pastry up onto the apple-filled mixture. You can now flute the edges and adorn the pastry with the trimmings if there are any.









Cut a vent in the top of the tart and then it’s ready to be put into the oven. As above mentioned, bake the pastry in a pre-heated oven at 200° Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit for about 20-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Now it can be served with custard, cream, or ice-cream.




This, my friends, is how easy it can be to bake a traditional Irish tart. However, there are even more complex recipes which require more knowledge of baking. Why not bake one for your family or for Eastern. I am sure they would be surprised ;)


I wish you guys a nice holiday – enjoy your time. Bye





1 comment:

LiMaZa said...

And where is my piece of the tart now? :P