Tuesday 31 March 2015

Market excursions..


Follow me around..

Alright guys, today I want to share one of my most favourite places in Graz with you. The farmers market on Kaiser-Josef-Square. I really love that market, especially now in spring. The sweet scent of freshly cut flowers is always lingering in the air, while you can hear all different kind of people gossiping and laughing at ever corner in the morning sun light. This atmosphere simply makes me happy.

However the main reason I go there nearly every Wednesday morning is FOOD. I know it is a little bit more expensive than in the supermarket and as students we are living on a budget, but in my opinion nowadays you have to let quality outweigh quantity. Most of the time I’m not even sure WHAT I’m eating whenever I heat myself one of those microwave meals. Granted, it’s a cheap and convenient dish, but – as we all know – not good for your body.

Plus it is not only healthier and more sustainable to eat locally grown food, it also helps to build community in your city or neighborhood and instead of giving your money to large corporations, you get the opportunity to supporting local farmers and small business owners.

But let’s cut to the topic here: What can you get at a farmers market?


Kaiser-Josef-Market opens daily from Monday to Saturday from 6:00 am till 1:00 pm and is located opposite the opera house.


Nearly everything you can buy there is a product of organic farming. The offer is extremely diverse:

Fresh fruits and vegetables..



Different types of meat: bacon, beef, sausages, steak…

Raw, minced, salted and smoked..

Big varieties of cheese..


Rich, green lettuce..


Bread and pastries..




But also self-made jam and booze..


Along with a huge rage of traditional, Styrian products like horseradish, runner beans, mushrooms and of course pumpkin seed oil..



I also want to take this opportunity to show you my two stalls, which I visit frequently. The first is the whole-food shop, located at the very back of the market.   

It offers a great range of dried fruits ad nuts, but also vegan/vegetarian products..

My second favourite place is the juice stall. The owners of the little kiosk offer to make you fresh smoothies and juices. You can choose from various ingredients and create your own personal drink.



I hope I could whet your interest. So that next time you have some time on your hands, maybe you will check one of those places out and even buy some flowers in the process :)






2 comments:

Monika said...

I live near the market and visit it very often, especially to buy pumpkin seed oil. Haven't seen the juice stall though...next time I'll take a better look, maybe I'll find it :)

Kulla von Black Chameleon said...

Good evening Monica,

thanks for the entry, I agree to a certain degree with what you wrote. It is indeed very supportive for the home market to spend money in organic farming in order to support the local farmers. Food you get at the markets you presented is usually healthier than all this ready-made bullshit from the envelop; so why any longer spend money in this lousy powder instead ?

But,.. I think it's not a question of quality or quantity. The reason why I'd invest in fresh farm products rather than in junk is the fact that no one in Austria has to starve. We have literally everything not only to survive but to create whatever we need—and I comment as a vegan. There may be huge differences in terms of living standards but basically, no one has to fear to ever be hungry in this country; Food is always affordable. Cars, petrol, technology, traveling, advertising, photographers, and real estate agencies suck much more of your budget than food suppliers ever will. No one saves a good deal of money by spending less in food. Your health is much more valuable, right? I'd simply buy as much as I'd necessarily need.
(We're talking 'bout food; That's the point.)

Also thanks for the photographs. They reminded me of the fact that there are other markets but the one at Lendplatz, were I once used to buy food.
The fruit and vegetable bar looks very inviting. I'd probably get everything I needed for my vegan kitchen there. Still, I would mind the meat section, wouldn't buy jam or booze, and would also refrain from the cheese bar; The lettuce doesn't look fresh either. If I were you, I would invest in the mushrooms, although I could find lots of them in our Styrian woods.

Which bar is your fave ?
See you a.t.u.




By the way: everY, raNge