Tuesday 31 March 2015

I don't speak food - I eat food! ;D



Dear all!
When I heard that we should do a blog post related to food I did not really have an idea for mine. So, while eating at my sister’s flat, I asked her and her roommates if they had a suggestion for me. Eventually, my dear friend Pia, who attends a school for photography, and I decided on making a little video about the process of preparing Mini Tofu Quiches.  I know, trying out a new recipe isn’t the most creative thing, but as I wanted to try out a new way of using tofu in a meal since ages, I thought that’s my chance. So, here is the creative video! I hope you like it. I think it looks amazing. (:

Here should be the video. Yet, it was not possible to upload the video and after over an hour of trying to figure out a way of putting that video in here, I finally surrender. I am sorry. Just imagine how it would have looked like. (;
If you got interested, continue reading! Instructions are following.
By the way, I marked the ingredients green and underlined the things I have learned and explained.

At first, mince the garlic (1 tsp), the bell pepper (1/2 cup) and the mushrooms (1 cup) and sauté them in a skillet. Add minced chives (1 tbsp), rosemary (1 tsp), black pepper and salt to the skillet.  Next step is to place the chopped tofu (12 ounces), soymilk (1/4 cup), tahini (1 tsp), nutritional yeast and turmeric (1/4 tsp) in a food processor and process until the mixture is smooth. At last, combine everything, add some cornstarch (1tbsp) and spoon the mixture into muffin cups. They should be filled about halfway. Put the muffin pan into the oven (350 F) for about 25 minutes and then allow them to cool for about 10 minutes. Now they should be ready to eat!

My recommendations:
I think I will make these mini quiches again, but:
I will add less tofu but more vegetables and some cheese.  Instead of the smoked tofu, I will try the plain tofu the next time. To get the tofu smooth, I used an immersion blender, however, this did not work very well. A food processor is probably the better choice. As well, I will use real chives instead of leek. I thought leek is chives and so I bought one leek and wondered why I should just add 1 tbsp chopped leek. Next time I will know better. (:

It turned out that I am a complete beginner when it comes to words relating to food and cooking. So here is what I learned from baking mini quiches:

to mince: to cut food into very small pieces
to sauté: to fry food quickly in a little hot fat
a skillet: a frying pan
chives: the long thin leaves of a plant with purple flowers which are used to give flavour to food
12 ounces = 340 gram
tahini: a thick mixture made with crushed sesame seeds
turmeric: a yellow powder made from the root of an Asian plant, used in cooking as a spice
cornstarch (NAE), cornflour (BE): fine white flour made from corn, used especially for making sauces thicker
350 F. = 177 C.

Thanks for reading.
Bye! (:



No comments: