Saturday 28 March 2015

My favourite bistro


Hello everyone J
I speak food. Well, I have to admit, I was a bit confused when I first heard the topic and I had no idea what I could blog about. As I am mentioning a nice little restaurant, called Spectrum, in my house swap letter, I finally decided to have a closer look at the menu of my favourite bistro in the heart of Wolfsberg.
The weekly menu for set meals is divided into two sections. There is Regional und Bodenständig, which includes traditional dishes of the region, and Xund und Vital, a section that is offering fresh and healthy, mostly vegetarian meals. The prices range from €9.20 to €12.40 and include the soup of the day as well as a dessert.
On Monday, the guests had the choice between Zigeunerschnitzel with Letscho, kind of cutlets in paprika sauce, with butter potatoes and side salad and Crostini with tuna on a variety of lettuce. To be honest, I had no idea what Crostini are and so I did some research. I found out, that this is a traditional Italian dish. It consists of roasted bread, which is basted with oil and garlic, with tomatoes, ham or fish on it. In my opinion, this sounds delicious and I would definitely have preferred this set meal.
On Tuesday the Spectrum offered crunchy chicken with vegetables out of the wok, basmati rice, a yoghurt sauce and side salad as well as hot Spaghetti aglio e olio with parmesan and side salad. The chef seems to be quite fond of the Italian cuisine ;).
Let’s move on to Wednesday where the food was good and solid. For meat lovers there was grilled beefsteak on apple-pumpkin-chutney with fennel au gratin, rocket and side salad. Guests who like it a bit lighter had the chance to enjoy seared mushrooms and aubergines on a variety of lettuce with basil baguette.  
On Thursday, the Spectrum offered grilled pork medallions with croquettes, broccoli and side salad and the Xund and Vital set meal was a baked tilapia filet – another dish I have never heard before – with potato salad and tartar sauce. Does anyone of you know tilapia? Well, I know by now that this is a freshwater fish that is mainly living in African rivers and lakes.
On Friday, the guests had the choice between beef goulash with a sort of bread dumplings and side salad and tepid smoked salmon with potatoes and leek au gratin and lettuce. The more I think about it, the more I deem this restaurant quite posh ;).
Finally, we reached the Saturday set meals. If I had eaten in the Spectrum today, I would not have known what to choose: There was a Styrian dish, called Backhendlsalat, which is in fact roast chicken on top of some lettuce, in this case served with core oil and bacon. The second meal was garlic and herbs risotto with mussels and side salad. However, I think I would have fancied the risotto.
Anyway, I hope you got hungry while reading this menu and maybe you even want to pay the Spectrum a visit ;).


See you and keep speaking food,
Lisa

No comments: