Sunday 26 April 2015

Taste the waste


A topic that really bothers me is the waste of food and how food is made today. Lots of times I ask myself: 'Why do we throw away so much food? And how can we stop this kind of waste?'
The way we eat has changed more in the last 50 years than in the previous 10,000. Today even more than half the food lands on the dump. The food we throw away in Europe would be enough to feed all the hungry people in the world two times over.

Another issue is that the food industry doesn’t want us to know where the food comes from because if we knew we wouldn’t eat it anymore. The companies don’t want farmers talking. You always hear farmer this, farmer that, but it’s really just a few big companies that are controlling the food.



For this reason I always try to eat all the food I bought, I really hate it when something has gone off and I need to throw it away. That’s why I’ll explain you the probably easiest recipe because all I did was using the food I found in my fridge. In my case that was not more than three courgettes, a spring onion, some tomatoes and carrots. If you mix that with noodles you already got a tasty meal.


1.       Boil some water for the pasta.

2.       In the meanwhile chop all the vegetables up into little pieces and stir-fry everything in a pot.

3.        Add a bit of tomato sauce to the vegetables and let it simmer a little bit.

4.       If you want to spice up the sauce and the veggies make sure you sprinkle some chopped herbs over it.

5.       Once the pasta is ready, drain off all the water. Now mix it with the sauce and the vegetables. If you prefer to eat pasta with parmesan cheese then  of course you can grate a bit of it over the top.

6.     Et voilá - it's ready! :-)
     





















Obviously it’s not a very extravagant dish but it’s yummy, filling, inexpensive and not time-consuming. Plus - as I mentioned before - you can try it with any vegetable you like.


If you are also interested in how the food supply system in the USA works I definitely recommend this video:




No comments: