Sunday 26 April 2015

Dessert of the day!

Hey everybody,

I want to share with you a traditional Hungarian dessert recipe, which – I can assure you - definitely worth making! It's actually neither simple nor that challenging to make, so I'd suggest all of you give it a try, especially if you have so sweet tooth like I do.

I must admit that I mostly don't know my way around the kitchen, so I've been forced to apply for my mom's help; and I really couldn't ask for a better kitchen assistant. :-) Sadly, I've got used to this Mom-do-the-cooking thing over the recent years and I felt lost when I was alone for the first time without any hot food. But these times are over, and I'm ready to present you an amazing traditional dessert called 'Máglyarakás' originally from my country.

 Literally, it means something like 'bonfire stack'. It may sound weird in English, but when we hear this word, we tend to think of this mouth-watering dessert. Let's see how to make it!



Ingredients: 20dkg kiflis 
                    3 eggs
                    ½ liter milk
                    10 dkg sugar
                    3 dkg butter
                    10 dkg crushed nuts
                    10 dkg sultanas or cherry (what you prefer)
                     ½ dl rum
                     ½ kg apple

                     3 tsp. apricot jam



                                                                                                                          
                                                                Sorry I almost forgot the rum!! :)->










Slice the bread into rounds and put it in a bowl.









Blend the egg-yolks, melted butter, and sugar together. Add the milk to it, and then pour the mix to the bread. Leave them to soak for a few minutes.








Grease a baking pan and take each layer of soaked kiflis in it. Soak the cherry in the rum and sprinkle with the crushed nuts on top.









Slice the apple into thin pieces and cover the top with it. Place in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.









In the meantime beat the egg-whites with the jam until it's stiff and spread on top.










Bake until the top is light golden brown. Let it cool down before slicing and serving.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: