Thursday 9 April 2015

Italy's influence on Austrian cuisine

Hi guys!

Today, I wanna talk about food. A topic everyone loves to talk about and an important topic in everyone’s everyday life.
I was wondering, isn't it insane how much influence traditional Italian food has on Austrian cuisine? You could almost think that “Spaghetti all’arrabbiata” originated here. From starters to desserts, typical Italian food is found almost everywhere. For example, the famous dish “Tiramisu”. It’s probably served in every restaurant in Austria, whether it’s a pizzeria or a traditional Austrian place (although, you probably won’t find it in Chinese restaurants, though). 

I, for myself, love everything with pasta. “Spaghetti Bolognese”, “Lasagne al forno”, tortellini, gnocchi … I could eat it all day long. So, now I want to catch this opportunity and introduce you to my favorite Italian pasta dish: Spaghetti with arugula and salmon.

What you need for four servings:


Spaghetti (as much as you want, you will probably cook too much anyway ;-)
One garlic clove
200 ml water
100g arugula
250g Crème fraiche
100g smoked salmon
200 ml water
One half of a lemon, salt and pepper


What you have to do:
It’s a very easy and fast dish, so I recommend, before even starting on the sauce, you bring water in a pot to boil for the pasta. (Expert tip: put a drop of olive oil and salt into the water – it makes the pasta especially good!)








How to make the sauce: First of all you have to brown the garlic in some olive oil (watch out that you don’t forget it!) Add the water and crème fraiche and bring it to boil. Cut the salmon into small stripes and I usually cut the arugula a bit, too, because otherwise it’s so much and harder to eat. 







Add it to the boiling water and crème fraiche and let it simmer for about five minutes. Then you season it with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside until the pasta is done. 
Voilà!









Buon appetito! ;-)

2 comments:

Michi Kulla said...

Hello Julia,

I'm sure this meal tastes delicious. I once ate a lot of salmon and couldn't find a substitute for its taste. Could you imagine eating the same meal without fish? And would you still like the taste of it?

Unknown said...

Actually, I couldn't imagine that. It just belongs to this meal and it wouldn't be the same without it ;-)