Friday 17 April 2015

I speak food in different languages.

Hey guys :)

I love food. 
And wine.
And food.

I'm still trying to figure out whether my personality or my cultural background made me a foodie. I'll probably never know. But then again what's the big deal about the reason behind that anyway? ;)

I'm Italian and Italians love food. They enjoy the whole act of this get-together with friends or family, consuming delicious and delicate dishes. The very thought of it makes my mouth watering. And let's be honest, every food tastes at least three times better when eaten in good company. And this time I don't intend the wine with company but the people. 
I almost never take pictures of my food. Quite unusual nowadays, huh? I think it's more important to eat the food, with that perfect consistence and taste at the moment it is served. Don't just think of meals as ingestion but as something independent. Take your time to eat. Be receptive for new things, at least most of the time, but more about that later.

I speak food in different languages.

I love the Italian cuisine as much as I love the (South)Tyrolean cuisine. But I also really enjoy Indian, Japanese, Spanish, etc. dishes. I may not know all the different languages and actually never will, but in terms of food my language is international. I fancy trying out new things, new recipes and new tastes. Cooking is definitely a passion of mine. Whilst reading new recipes I mostly just skim the text and almost never stick to the recipe or at least not to the measurements. I often experiment with different foods, sometimes already having a final result on my mind and sometimes trying something without even having an idea of the outcome. You always should be open to new things, textures or tastes but there are also some things that just shouldn't be changed. This reminds me of the Easter break. I was at home and my mum and me made some delicious spinach dumplings (the best I ever had). Typically you serve them with some melted, brown butter and some Parmesan cheese. And here was the problem. We didn't have any butter at home and my mum tried to convince me to eat them with olive oil instead. It actually didn't sound that bad, (and actually also didn't taste that bad, I tried some of my mums plate), Still it just sounded horrible in my ears. It's just such a classical dish, also connected with quite a few memories and being on holidays at home it just had to be the classical combination, everything else would have been wrong. This is probably one of these moments I was talking about earlier, where you don't have to be too open for new things. Same goes for all these so-called pizzas in America. I don't doubt that they are good with all that cheese overload and stuff but do me a favour and stop calling it pizza. Call it I don't know what, but something else. It may be delicious but it isn’t pizza. But that's a whole other topic.

So I had a lot of dishes on my mind that I wanted to present you, but none of them came in line for posting them here, because I haven't got exact recipes for them. Except for one: Pizza. It's not a classical thin Italian pizza but it's still an Italian recipe. The dough is a bit fluffier then you may know it from a pizzeria but it tastes really delicious and it's a good alternative to the classical pizza. And if you are feeling fancy, you could also add some Buffalo Mozzarella or just substitute the normal one with it.

So here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

Base
·      250g flour
·      1/4 litre water (lukewarm)
·      1 yeast cube
·      1 tbsp. salt
·      a few drops olive oil

Topping
·      Tomato sauce
·      Mozzarella
·      Toppings you like


1.   Crumble the yeast and add it to the water. Then mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. The dough is supposed to be sticky. If needed you can add some additional water or flour.
2.    Put a dish towel or the like over the bowl
3.    Let it rest in a warm(!!) place for at least 30 minutes
4.    Preheat the oven at about 180°C
5.    Now the dough will have risen. First put some olive oil on the oven tray then the dough. Pour a little bit more of the oil on the dough this will prevent the dough from sticking to you fingers and the tray.
6.    Spread the dough on the oven tray. This may take a few minutes, as the dough is a bit elastic. Try to avoid making holes.
7.    Add the tomato sauce and sprinkle some salt and herbs on it. Add the toppings you like. You can put the Mozzarella cheese either before or after the toppings on the pizza.
8.    Put it in the oven. It takes about 15-25 minutes depending on your oven, so keep an eye on it from times to times.

Enjoy :)


No comments: