Wednesday 13 May 2015

"Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be… severe."


Even though, I hate Umbirdge as much any other Harry Potter fan does, I cannot deny this statement. You cannot run away from your responsibilities because they’ll track you down in your free time, sleep… And you'll be in bigger problems than you're now.

I decided to write a free post for all of you who have just seen what our next months will look like. Well, I'm extremely bad with time management and during the exams is the smartest idea to practise it! Before „that time of the year“ begins (I'm not talking about Christmas though), I decided to make a study plan for upcoming months. I was almost shocked when I saw how many exams are ahead of me. I started panicking a bit because I wasn't sure where to start or how to organize my time. So, I sat down, took a sheet of paper wrote down some tips that may help: 
You should be studying  


Draw a calendar (or use Word, whatever suits you best) and mark all of the important dates like exams, presentations, culture days, concerts (you cannot study all the time, you need a break too)…For each subject write down what topics will be covered in an exam so you already know what your stronger and weaker topics are. For example, you know your mother tongue better than a foreign language, so you’ll need more time, practice and patience to master it.

After you've familiarized yourself with exam stuff, divide them into smaller sections. Every day do a little bit of everything. In that way, there's no chance you'll find yourself in June with a pile of books to read or countless pages to learn.

Make sure you take breaks every now and then. You're not a robot and you need a break. Make some coffee, go out for a walk, play games, run or go to gym, draw, do something that relaxes you. By all means. Do not work the whole day or you'll go crazy.

This sounds perfect so far, does it? And it sounds relatively easy to accomplish and you feel enthusiastic: "Yes, I can do it and I will do it!" Good job, that's the spirit. But, as it usually happens, excitement that you have now doesn't really last. Usually, when things get slightly harsh, students tend to surrender and leave all the work until the very last minute. Don't do that to yourself. Be a bit more determined.

When it gets harsh and you want to give up, remind yourself how lucky you actually are. Be thankful that you have the chance to go to college and to be buried under a pile of books and papers. Not everyone in this world has that chance.  Knowing that I have a chance to live a decent life and help other people who don’t, pushes me beyond my mental limits and gives me strength to go on.
    

2 comments:

fn said...

Hi Hanja,

I was glad to see your motivating post. Comparing the Department of Translation to Hogwarts (or the Dark Arts?; sorry, it's been quite a while since I read the books...) is a pretty bold move.

I agree that people need to be (get?) very organized and, most importantly perhaps, should be grateful for the chance to study (for very little money I might add...), engage their minds, challenge themselves, and learn important life skills in the process.

We can tell that you have learned something about the importance of hard work and determination and pushing yourself to do your best. I respect that attitude, I really do.

Frank

Unknown said...

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your comment. I chose this sentence because I thought it would fit in perfectly for my post and that it would intrigue other students. It makes me really happy when people recognize the movie I borrowed it from.

Hanja